Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Promise For You



There are times in our lives when God crosses our paths with another person for reasons only He might know  at the time.  Sometimes it is years later that you look back and see His grace through someone else. I was reminded of such a person this week.
Her name is Diana.
 She was a mentor to me at a time in my life that was somewhat challenging. Paul and I had been married just a few years and about a year before we had found ourselves several hours away from our families in Texas, starting a new life in Oklahoma.
 At the time, we had Dalton and Cassidy both under 3 years old and Paul was working as a conductor at the time. My days were busy taking care of 2 children under 3 yrs but Paul was only home every 2 or 3 days and then would get called out again after being home for barely 24 hours. I was busy, yes, but also very lonely. I had not yet found a local church in our area and I only knew just a few people in the neighborhood. Our families were almost 4 hours away.
Paul came home one day and mentioned a guy at work who he had just learned lived only 10 min away from us. He said that him and his wife wanted to meet us and would love for us to stop by "anytime". Well, little did he know that I would take them up on their offer many times over! When I first met Randy and Diana they made us feel so welcomed in their home and absolutely loved our children. It was the closest thing to having family near us. They treated us like family. Also, it was nice knowing another "railroad wife" that could understand her husband being gone frequently. God is so good!
I remember calling her up and pretty much inviting myself and the kids over many times just to have someone to talk to. Someone who cared about what I had to say. Someone who would listen to me. Many times I would just watch her do things. She is a very industrious woman.
 I remember stopping by one day and she was out in the shop making a bed (YES a BED!) that she saw in a magazine that she really liked but didn't want to spend the money on. So what did she do? She made in herself!
So why was she on my mind this week?
To be continued...........................

No comments:

Post a Comment